Home Health and Safety


Your home is meant to be a place where you feel safe and comfortable; however there are many factors that can negatively impact your home health and safety. Whether you're a tenant or homeowner, the Health Unit can provide information and support to help you. 

 Bed bugs

What do you do if you encounter bed bugs? Our public health inspectors can help you identify them, prevent them and tell you what to do if you have them in your home. Call us at 705-474-1400 ext. 5400 or 1-800-563-2808.


Tenants that encounter bed bugs in their rental unit should contact their landlord or property manager. They are responsible for taking action and controlling the situation. 


Landlords are responsibile for hiring a pest control company to make sure that the bed bugs are safely taken care of. Public health inspectors can help by providing information only. Your local municipality may have a property standards bylaw that deals with pests. Please contact them directly.


The Health Canada website provided details including health risks, locations where mould can be a problem and information regarding cleaning mould. 

Not all mould causes health effects; there are different ways that tenants and occupants of a dwelling can respond to mould. The extent of health effects from mould exposure is less known, efforts should be made to keep mould growth indoors to a minimum. Mould growth may have a larger impact or illness for young babies, elderly, and people with asthma or weakened immune systems. If you or a family member feel unwell after being exposed to mould, speak with your health care provider.


Here are some steps to take if you are a tenant dealing with mould in your home: 

  • Talk with your landlord about the issue. It is in their best interest to correct and deal with the problem early so that their property is not damaged further. Mould is often caused by water damage or insufficient ventilation. 
  • Take pictures of the problem. These are useful for medical appointments, enforcement officers and court. 
  • Go see your doctor if you are concerned that the mould is making you sick. Bring pictures of your living conditions with you to assist in making a diagnosis.  
  • You can put in a complaint to the local authorities if you are unhappy with the way your landlord is handling your concerns.  Where you live will determine who you need to contact. If you live in a municipality, you can try the local building department or the municipal bylaw enforcement officer. Many municipalities have bylaws concerning residential standards. If the area you live in does not have these services, then you will need to contact the Landlord Tenant Board (1-800-332-3234).

Smoke-free living

Demand for smoke-free environments are on the rise. Learn more about how to make your home smoke-free. 

Potable drinking water

Test your drinking water to make sure it's safe.

Removing hazards

Did you know that half of all falls happen in and around the home? Here are a few tips on how to identify, remove and report hazards.

North Bay

345 Oak Street West

Parry Sound

70 Joseph Street Unit #302

Burk's Falls

17 Copeland Street (by appointment only)